In 1854, Conrad Kammer and his family settled in Casco Township to the south west of Port Huron. These German immigrants came to build new lives for themselves on a quiet farm in the middle of the eastern Michigan wilderness. They cleared trees from their land and constructed a house of logs. Generations of Kammers lived in this house. Over the years many additions and improvements were made to keep pace with changing times and fashions. The original log walls with mud daubing had become completely hidden by two different layers of exterior siding. In June of 1981 the home was presented to the Port Huron Museum of Arts and History by Mr. Robert Nellis. The museum is currently restoring the historic structure to approximate its appearance during the early years as a pioneer home.